10/26/10

4 + 2 = 6

It is only 2 PM yet it feels like I've taken on world war III, fought it and still do not know the outcome. The day started off normal as I jumped out of bed 10 minutes to 8, threw clothes on, yell at kids to throw their clothes on, feed them breakfast and run everyone out to the car at 8:35 to drive them to school. I drop Charlie off, who was very excited since Cardinals "Red Bird" was coming to his school today. 10 minutes later, I drop my social Thomas off at his preschool and then head home to greet the housekeepers. Standing in my messy house, I tell her that my neighbor is so excited they are cleaning their house for the first time. She replies, "Yes, I know since she called me last night." I then tell her, trying to make up for our messy house, "They are much much neater than us," in which she to my chagrinned horror replied, "Yes I know." The phone rings, it is Thomas' preschool calling to inform me that the workers had to cut the power off in their school to remove the tree that fell last night during the huge storm. It is now 9:20 AM...his school starts at 9 AM. 15 minutes later, in the car with what it was supposed to be a day with one kid but now is two, I head to the vet to discuss the situation of our 13 year old dog, Jake. 1000s of tears, one whole box of kleenex and a set appointment to put him down, I leave the vet to go home and try to resume somewhat normal day activities. I feed kids lunch after arguing with Thomas why he may not have four kit kats for lunch but has to eat a peanut butter and honey sandwich, I then put Elle down for a nap. 30 minutes later and Elle still not napping but crying, the housekeeper comes over from neighbors house to tell me that they cannot get their dog, Maddie back into the house. I go over to try to get her inside which I failed at so I check to see that she has her invisible fence collar on and decide she's fine in the front yard for a bit. Back in my house, still trying to get Elle to take a nap, I hear Maddie barking but it wasn't the barking that was bothering me, it was how close by it sounded. Either her collar was not "on" or she had bolted through the invisible fence in her yard, but it doesn't matter because she was now standing at our front doorstep. "Ah, she wanted more fruit loops as I let her eat what it seems like 1000s on our dining room floor the other day," I thought trying to see some humor in this day. So now, as it was supposed to be Elle, Jake, Flav (our cat) and I day it was now Elle, Thomas, Jake, Flav, Maddie and I day. Maddie bolts into the house, runs into the dining room only to stop when she sees no fruit loops. She then runs upstairs to Elle's room which I chase after her, get her out, gate the room off because she was trying to get to our black, male cat, "Flavor Flav" whom was hiding for his dear life under Elle's bed. Like I said, "It is only 2 PM..."

1 comment:

shelby said...

This is EXACTLY the kind of day I have almost every day. Good job putting it into words! I am now lying exhausted on my couch from the exact kind of day you had, excpet had to make chicken salad from scratch for a Garden Club. Good job mal mal!