8/13/11

To hike or bike, or throw the bike?

After of one month of living in Portlandia, I have come to realize a few things:

Y'all is completely unheard of
(and my accent...well, that's another story)

Beige is a color to describe clothes and has many shades to it

There are over 200 parks

And only seven outdoor swimming pools

And just to name a few activities Portlandia loves:

Hiking

Biking 

Biking and Hiking

The other day I piled up my three kids and headed off to a park.

Again.

This time we took CT's Razor Kobra bike, Thomas' Razor scooter and Elle's pink riding toy.  
And me, my feet in some stylish, though flat sandals.

After playing on the playground a while, the kids wanted to ride on the asphalt roads through Washington Park.

Not a problem. 
Off we go.

Then they wanted to ride on the dirt trails. 

Not a problem. 

Then they wanted to go up the dirt trails on the side of the mountain. 

Again, not a problem and I choose a relatively easy (not too steep) one. 
And yes, we carried all of our equipment.
As in, I carried Elle and her riding toy while the boys carried their own.
We all safely made it to the top, equipment and all.

In front of us was a much steeper trail going up the side of the mountain.
The boys sped off on their bikes and scooters towards it and up the trail.
Halfway up that one, CT decides he can't push his Razor Kobra bike up any further.
Can't blame him since it is 30.95 lbs and he weighs 53 lbs...

I take the Razor Kobra.
I now have Elle, her pink riding toy and now CT's 30.95 lbs bike.

At this point, I am frustrated. I am hating myself for agreeing to "hike."
I am hating all of our "equipment."

And I am hating CT's Razor Kobra bike that weighs 30.95 lbs.

So, I hastily set Elle down with her pink riding toy.

I then pick up the Razor Kobra 30.95 lbs bike and throw it off the cliff.

The boys look at me with shock on their face.

I sweetly tell them, "Don't worry, we will be back for it."

Satisfied with the answer, we all continued our hike up the steep hill.

As we all FINALLY reached the top minus one equipment, I turned to my boys and said in a very sweet but firm voice, "Mommy is DONE hiking...D.O.N.E."

Surprisingly they both wholeheartedly agreed...as in no argument or backtalk from them.


The Razor Kobra bike survived the throw off the cliff...

And yes, that is Spiderman, age 5 1/2...in a size 3T costume.

1 comment:

sarahdri said...

Mallie your blog totally makes me laugh! I love the spider man in the too small costume! Nathaniel is 4 and he is still wearing his size 24 months lucky charms tee-shirt.

xoxo Sarah